Cutthorne has been in occupation since Saxon times, when the site was originally chosen for its sheltered position, abundance of natural spring water, (still in use today) and proximity to the old Hare Path, a very early roadway across Exmoor.
Constructed with stone from Pinn Quarry close by, the Yeoman farmhouse was built at the end of the 18th century on the site of the original house. It is a substantial Exmoor house with spacious and well proportioned rooms and many period features.
The house overlooks an ancient and beautiful cobbled yard, which is bordered by the original 17th century threshing barn and shippon. Opposite the house is a complete 18th century farmyard which was restored at the beginning of 2003 using traditional materials, and now provides a superb stableyard for horses.
The cobbled yard drains into a lovely stone pond, which is at the head of a medieval field gutter system. This is now preserved as a site of historical and archaeological importance, and is home to a collection of ornamental ducks.
In 1327 Cutthorne was occupied by Johanes de Cotehorne, and since then it has been used as a fine residential and sporting estate. Unfortunately it fell into substantial disrepair, and by the time the Durbin family bought it in 1981 it was virtually derelict.
Over the last twenty years it has been sympathetically restored to its former glory so that the original features can be enjoyed with all modern home comforts, but still give the visitor the feeling of entering an unspoilt and bygone age.